They’ve been all over the news this week.
Well, this new clinical study from Germany suggests that certain eye vitamins can slow the development of macular degeneration.
But does it really?
We went ahead and purchased the report. Aside from reading it carefully ourselves, we also shared it with two other colleagues for their insights and opinions.
The Truth behind these eye vitamins
Here are a few facts from the report:
- The subjects in the study were all around 60-70 years of age, with active age-related macular degeneration.
- Groups 1 and 2 received capsules containing lutein, zeaxanthin, DHA, and EPA. Group 3 took a sugar pill.
- Blood levels of lutein and zeaxanthin increased after one month, then remained steady over the next 11 months, as subjects continued to take the capsule every day for 12 months total.
- The vitamins caused a huge increase in the person’s antioxidant capacity, or ability to oxidize harmful substances.
- The optical density increased after one month, and continued to increase slowly over the remaining 11 months.
Now this last fact is perhaps the most important.
The ocular density of the macular pigment is a measure of age-related macular degeneration. The lower the density, the worse the disease.
What was really interesting is that the macular pigment increased for both groups taking this eye vitamin, while it did not increase for the group taking the sugar pill.
This proves that a combination of lutein, zeaxanthin, and fish oil can reverse macular degeneration.
What’s even more interesting is that the researchers found that the macular density remained relatively constant even after the eye vitamins were stopped. This suggests that the combination caused a change in the eye that is sustainable. But more research is needed to prove this last point.
Regardless, this clearly tells us that if you’re in that 50+ range, and concerned about your eyesight, an eye vitamin formula is a great choice.
Not only can you protect your eyes, but you get the added benefits of taking fish oil, which has anti-inflammatory and other health benefits as well…and for only $1 a day!